Interview with Caprice Bourret
1. No dream is too big. Having achieved so much already, what’s the dream now?
The dream now is ecommerce and international expansion. In this market space you have to keep moving – the competition is too intense; otherwise somebody else will come in and take your place.
Customers are not as loyal; they want innovation, good price and good quality. They want the access to buy, easily and readily.
Their attention span is zero.
2. You’re a role model to many – why do you think that is?
I am a role model probably because I have come from nothing and when you achieve success in this market it is something to be commended for…..anyone not just me!
3. You attribute your business savvy to your mother. It seems to have come very naturally to you, why do you think that is?
It didn’t come that easily – I had to work at it. You got to educate yourself…. You got to know and understand every integral part of your business; you got to surround yourself with a good team.
Don’t be greedy – if you have to take a small hit on your margins to give your customer a good product! Do it!!! …you got to think long term! Customers will appreciate it and you will develop a certain amount of loyalty and brand integrity.
4. You have embraced Social media – has that helped you to become successful in today’s hyper competitive business climate?
Social media sells product… Everyone uses it, it’s now it’s the future! Know it! Learn about it! Use it! It’s free!!!
5. You continue to adapt both your image and your products to changing market forces. Is there a common denominator?
In regards to myself, of course I got to change. You got to reinvent yourself as you mature.
In regards to my business your target market may change as you change. You got to be aware of that and react accordingly. For me when I started the lingerie business my collection was quite skimpy and very sexy.
After continuous scrutiny we have come to the conclusion that our target market has changed and fits have changed. Women now are voluptuous – they don’t look like they need to be fed 5 hamburgers. She still wants fashion, but still wants a more conservative fit.
She wants a lot more innovation, she is not a compulsive buyer anymore, so she wants a lot for her money and she can get it!
So, I have to be agile continuously.
6. What does the future hold for Caprice?
Goodness, I don’t know. I take it a day at a time, work hard, give customers value for money and put all my love and passion into my product.